Activist Resources – For MN and Beyond
Resources For Protesters and Activists
“One of the amazing things about activists is that we often deliberately expose ourselves to brutality when we believe it necessary. What is sometimes equally surprising is how little we know about the psychological effects of this violence. We need to prepare ourselves and learn how to support each other through the physical and emotional consequences of trauma.
People’s reactions to traumatic events vary enormously; some may become withdrawn, others may be fearful or angry. The time it takes to recover from trauma also varies from hours or days to weeks, months, and sometimes years – though most people recover within a month. Post-traumatic stress can take many forms. Some may find themselves more scared of the police or of crowded situations; others may become angry while others feel paralyzed and vulnerable. You may feel changed as a person. Opening spaces to exchange experiences and communicate our emotions are important first steps to deal with experiences of violence.
Post-traumatic stress is a normal response to abnormal circumstances.”
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) And Activists – from Activist Trauma Support
- PTSD flyer A5 PDF 4 pages Our general flyer discussing PTSD and activism. https://www.activist-trauma.net/assets/files/ats_a5_flyer_dec16_rightway.pdf
- Police Infiltration Leaflet A4 PDF. Document considering the effects of police infiltration
Activist Trauma Zine Version 1 of the Activist Trauma Support zine, 36 A5 pages in PDF including Editorial, Avoiding Burnout at Climate Camp 2006, Total Eclipse, International Groups, Out of Action in German for G8, Report from Israeli T-Team, ATS Trauma Briefing, 2 Minute Relaxation, My Experiences Post Stirling, Callout for more articles. https://www.activist-trauma.net/assets/files/atszine1.pdf
double-sided A3 PDF Backgrounds, symptoms, specific problems, available treatments, prevention, support.
double-sided A4 PDF https://www.activist-trauma.net/assets/files/coping_with_police_brutality_new.pdf
Logistics of what to do after having been attacked: on the scene, at home, at the police station, in court.
Activist Trauma flyer in other languages
- Trauma support flyer in German, as a PDF – Flyer zu Trauma und Aktivismus: Einführung, Reaktionen, Hintergründe, was hilft?
- Trauma support flyer in French, as a PDF and as a TEXT file – Activisme et traumatisme.
- Trauma support flyer in Spanish, as a PDF and as a TEXT file – Trauma y recuperacion para activistas.
- Trauma support flyer in Russian, Page 1 and Page 2 – double sided A4 PDF
- Trauma support flyer in Hebrew – double sided A4 PDF
- Trauma support flyer in Arabic, as a PDF and as a TEXT file.
- Trauma support flyer in Dutch, as a PDF.
- Trauma Support flyer in Greek, as a PDF – Τραύμα και ανάκαμψη για ακτιβιστές
Handouts from a 6-day Training with ASSIST
ASSIST is a UK Charity dedicated to Trauma Care. All in RTF or PDF format.
- Stress – Human function curve 1: RTF or PDF
- Stress – Human function curve 2: RTF or PDF
- Critical Incident Stress: RTF or PDF
- Critical Incident Stress – Short term reactions: RTF or PDF
- Trauma and Recovery: RTF or PDF
- Please listen to me: RTF or PDF
- PTSD Criteria – 1: RTF or PDF
- PTSD Criteria – 2: RTF or PDF
- Summary of Post Trauma Symptoms: RTF or PDF
- Why do some people get it and others don’t: RTF or PDF
- Secondary Traumatisation: RTF or PDF
- Intrusive Imagery and Thoughts: RTF or PDF
- Dealing with Flashbacks: RTF or PDF
- Treatments of Flashbacks: RTF or PDF
- Processing the Memories: RTF or PDF
- Developing Coping Skills: RTF or PDF
- Working with Avoidance: RTF or PDF
- Arousal and Hypervigilance: RTF or PDF
- Panic Attacks: RTF or PDF
- Treatment for Hypervigilance: RTF or PDF
- Specialist Interventional Therapies: RTF or PDF
- Evidence-based treatments: RTF or PDF
- Effective Treatments for PTSD: RTF or PDF
- Cognitive Restructuring: RTF or PDF
- Exposure Therapy: RTF or PDF
- NICE Guidelines – 1: RTF or PDF
- NICE Guidelines – 2: RTF or PDF
Mental Health & Protesting: Colorado Protest Medics: PowerPoint – trauma-informed
14 self-care reminders list (PDF) – Keep the Revolution Healthy
Mental Health Care and Self-Care Pre and Post Political Actions & Protests, i.e., rubber bullets, tear gas, police brutality trauma, self-care
Paramilitaries at Your Protest: An Activist Field Guide to the Far Right
Black Visions Collective https://www.blackvisionsmn.org/
Report Minneapolis Police Department Police Brutality to the MN Department of Human Rights
American Protest: Images From the Past 24 Hours The Atlantic 6.3.20
Things You Can Do Right Now to Support Protesters by Jeff at TherapyDen
An easy tool for anonymizing photographs taken at protests. Use the tool here.
Mental Health Resources for BIPOC and non-BIPOC
National Queer and Trans Therapists of Color Network Mental Health Fund
Therapy for Black Women and Girls and Therapy Fund for Black Women and Girls
Supporting Black LGBTQ+ Youth Mental Health The Trevor Project
Learn more about Irene’s services related to oppression and trauma-informed individual, group and non-profit organizational support and coaching, psychological first-aid training, and anti-racism workshops for white people. Contact Irene