14 No Cost Radical Self-Care Tips
by Irene Greene MSED // www.irenegreene.com
Political Trauma Stress, Oppression Fatigue, Burnout & Compassion Fatigue Are All Real!
~ Let’s Keep Ourselves, Each Other and the Revolution Healthy ~
- In your work, play and self-care, use your integrity as your guide. Value yourself with respectful self-talk, wiggle-room & compassion.
- Slow down. Take deep slow breaths: three sets of three: 5 seconds on inhale & 7 seconds on exhale.
- Check-in & greet your body. Rub your arms, legs, hands, forehead, base of your skull, shoulders. Take stretch breaks every 50 minutes.
- Use your 8 senses to orient yourself to your surroundings: hear, touch, taste, see, smell; Note your body’s physical needs, your body in relation to gravity & the connectedness of your body’s parts.
- Do you need to: hydrate? eat? sleep? rest? stretch your body? pee? make alone time to just be? tend to life maintenance details? tend to relationships? say “yes” to yourself and “no” to others?
- Do you need to debrief? Need a safe physical way to release intense energy or anger? to cry? to grieve? Let it out. Let it go.
- Take a break from social media…A meaningful break…Yes, put your phone away for a while.
- Get real about what you have control & influence over & what you do not. Then problem-solve creatively.
- Take physical & mental space away from your work, planning, organizing & volunteering.
- Connect with your kindreds for fun & solace. Don’t isolate. Schedule regular check-ins.
- Do something you enjoy…listen to music, doodle, run, write, chat with your neighbor.
- Be in or imagine nature. Trees. Water. Sky. Animals. Birds.
- Anxious, afraid, depressed? Stressed? Hopeless? Medicating? Headaches? Tired? Stomach or sleep problems? Flashbacks? Admit when you need help. Get a referral from a trusted ally.
- Unabashedly remind yourself: “I am an amazing, worthy, important, unique & lovely human being.” www.irenegreene.com 2016 ©