Whether you have previously had coaching or counseling or this is your first time seeking help, it is common to have questions about the helper and the process. You are hiring this professional to provide an invaluable service for you. It is important that you feel informed, respected and assured that you are receiving quality care.
I have 29+ years experience providing individual, relationship (relationship coaching, uncoupling, conflict resolution) and psycho-educational training support groups, professional coaching and consultation; in-person and telehealth. Additionally, I have provided hundreds of trainings and workshops to mental health, medical, educational, social service professionals, and community groups. I have managed my own private practice since 1988 and full time since 1994.
I firmly believe that the personal is the professional is the political. I adhere to a fundamental consciousness for how the layers of cultural and systematic oppression and trauma influence personal, interpersonal and community health. And, conversely, how healing, empowerment, wellness and wellbeing are nurtured by human connection that is grounded in humanity, justice and equity. I hold this framework as the backdrop to the work that I do and the life that I live.
I am a European-American (of Irish, German and Roma Gypsy ethnicity) cisgender woman, a lesbian from way back, a survivor, feminist, a parent by creative means, a social justice community organizer, and I hail from a small conservative Catholic farming community in Minnesota. These identities, with all of their colliding lessons, inform my motivation and dedication to the services I provide and the communities that I choose to serve.
Approach and style
I am a seasoned mental health professional, consultant and positive psychology wellness and relationship coach. I stay current with psycho-social issues and developments that impact mental and emotional health and well-being. I am dedicated to providing a compassionate, confidential, and ethical service. I offer an authentic and down-to-earth style that is wrapped with genuine interest, non-judgmental compassion and a varied skill set.
I am equipped to draw from a breadth of genres and professional experiences. Depending on the client’s needs my approach may intertwine aspects of mindfulness and stress reduction techniques, trauma-healing theories, trauma-informed care, emotional intelligence theory, intersectional feminist, oppression and multicultural theories, emotionally focused and attachment theories, non-violent conflict resolution practices, boundary strategies for healthy relationships, radical acceptance study, goal-based self-reflection work, imagery, and visualization.
Topics and issues
- LGBTQIAP2S+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, genderqueer, non-binary, intersex, asexual, pansexual, Two Spirit) issues and relationships***
- Trauma and PTSD***
- Self-care, Anxiety and Stress Reduction
- Life-work-family-self Balance***
- Relationship Health, Communication and Connection (whether staying together or uncoupling)***
- Political Trauma Stress & Anxiety (“PTSA”)***
- Conflict Resolution
- Family of Origin Dynamics
- Sex Positivity & Kink
- Open and Poly Relationships and Family Configurations***
- Compassion Fatigue and Burnout***
- Vicarious Trauma***
- Oppression Fatigue and Oppression Trauma***
- White-body Privilege***
***These topics are also offered as workshops & trainings.
Workshop & Training Topics
- Secondary Trauma, Moral Injury, Compassion Fatigue, Burnout and Stress for Helping Professionals (e.g., social service, mental health, healers, educators, crisis advocates, advisors, direct service and community workers, medical, and other healing arts)
- Oppression Fatigue and Political Trauma Stress for Social Justice organizers, advocates, volunteers, street medics, etc.
- Becoming a Better Racial Ally: for helping professionals, educators, community members
- LGBTQ+ Relationship Workshop: Improve conflict-resolution, communication and connection
Psycho-Educational Skill-Building Support Groups
- Sexual Abuse and Healing Support and Skills
- Coming Out Support for women “coming out” as lesbian or bisexual
- Wellness and Self-Care: Stress, Moral Injury, Burnout, Compassion Fatigue: Support and skills training for helping professionals and community workers
Frequently Asked Questions
To learn about the individual and relationship, group and training services offered by Irene, schedule your complimentary 30-minute consultation.