Support & Skills Groups: Overview
Are you feeling alone with your concerns and worries?
Going through transitions that require decisions and non-judgemental guidance?
Would it help you to hear from others who may share similar experiences and struggles?
Are you wishing to develop a deeper emotional connection with yourself and others?
Do you want to learn concrete skills about how to maintain healthier boundaries and stronger self-care habits?
Do you want to be in a space that is socially conscious, feminist, LGBTQ+ inclusive, sex-positive and anti-racist?
Educational, Support, Coaching & Skills Groups offered in 2019-2020:
- Women Survivors’ of Sexual Abuse flyer For anyone who identifies as a woman.
- Women Coming Out Later in Life flyer
- Group for Socially Conscious Helpers, Healers and Advocates: Burnout, Compassion Fatigue, Moral Injury and Vicarious Trauma flyer
Here, you don’t have to explain or defend or hide who you are.
These groups are a safe place for those who hold a fundamental consciousness for how the layers of cultural and systematic oppression and trauma influence our personal and inter-personal health and wellbeing. I have designed and facilitated dozens of skills, support and therapy groups since 1983.
The nurturing, validating and safe nature of a therapy or support group is inspiring and life changing.
Deep healing and personal growth ensues when a group of committed people joins together to compassionately listen, gently support, and vulnerably share their personal thoughts, feelings, challenges, and dreams with one another.
- The group meetings are held in two formats: Either weekly for 75 minutes, for 14 consecutive weeks (except holidays) with up to 8 people. OR Bundled into 4 – longer meetings at 2-3 hours each. (The format depends on the type of group and the number of people.)
- The meetings may incorporate mini-lecture, coaching, goal-setting, video, topic discussion, skill building, homework, and personal sharing.
- Handouts, homework, bibliography, pens and folders are provided.
- Rate: $50/session for 75 minute groups OR $120/session for 180 minutes. Some sliding fee slots are available.
- All groups are for socially conscious adults who are anti-racist, poly-friendly, sex-positive and LGBTQ+ affirming.
Differences between support and therapy groups
These Educational, Support & Skills groups balance personal supportive sharing with an educational & skills-building component. They provide opportunities for like-minded humans going through similar issues to learn together, give and receive mutual support and validation, and to share experiences, resources and information.
Therapy groups are generally long-term and ongoing groups (meaning they meet every week and, depending on the goals, the clients may choose to stay for several months or more). Therapy groups, in addition to offering validation and support, also tend to more therapeutically and deeply explore individual members’ issues, thoughts and feelings.
Free 30-minute phone or in-person intake appointments are required for all groups. Email to schedule.
I often have waiting lists for each group. If you are currently in individual or relationship counseling or coaching, I will ask that you sign a Release of Information Form so that I may connect with your provider.
To receive a flyer or to schedule your complimentary 30-minute consultation.