Support & Skills Groups: Overview
Are you feeling alone with your concerns and worries?
Going through transitions that require decisions and non-judgemental guidance?
Would it help you to hear from others who may share similar experiences and struggles?
Are you wishing to develop a deeper emotional connection with yourself and others?
Do you want to learn concrete skills about how to maintain healthier boundaries and stronger self-care habits?
Do you want to be in a space that is socially conscious, feminist, LGBTQ+ inclusive, sex-positive and anti-racist?
Here, you don’t have to explain or defend or hide who you are. These groups are a safe place for those who hold a fundamental consciousness for how the layers of cultural and systematic oppression and trauma influence our personal and inter-personal health and wellbeing.
The nurturing, validating and safe nature of a therapy or support group is inspiring and life changing.
Deep healing and personal growth ensues when a group of committed people joins together to compassionately listen, gently support, and vulnerably share their personal thoughts, feelings, challenges, and dreams with one another.
- The group meetings are held in two formats: Either weekly for 75 minutes, for 14 consecutive weeks (except holidays) and have up to 8 people. OR Bundled into 4 – longer meetings at 2-3 hours each. (Format depends on the group.)
- The meetings may incorporate mini-lecture, video, topic discussion, skill building, and strategizing and personal sharing.
- Handouts, homework, bibliography, pens and folders are provided.
- Call for more information and to schedule a phone intake appointment.
- Rate: $50/session for 75 minute groups OR $120/session for 180 minutes. Some sliding fee slots available.
- All groups are for socially conscious adults who are anti-racist, sex-positive and LGBTQ+ affirming.
Differences between support and therapy groups
These Support & Skills group meetings are focused on a particular topic that the group members have in common. The support groups that I offer balance some personal sharing with an educational & skills-building component. They provide opportunities for like-minded folks going through similar issues to learn together, give and receive mutual support and validation, and to share experiences, resources and information.
Therapy groups are generally long-term and ongoing groups (meaning they meet every week and, depending on the goals, the clients may choose to stay for several months or more). Therapy groups, in addition to offering validation and support, also tend to more therapeutically and deeply explore individual members’ issues, thoughts and feelings.
I have designed and facilitated dozens of skills, support and therapy groups since 1983.
For detailed information and flyers about the current Groups see: Groups currently offered
Intake appointments are required for all groups.
I often have waiting lists for each group. If you are currently in individual or relationship counseling or coaching, I will ask that you sign a Release of Information Form so that I may connect with that provider.
- (TWO) 14 Week Psycho-Educational Support & Skills Groups for Women Survivors’ of Sexual Abuse: For anyone who identifies as a woman.
Women’s Coming Out Later in Life
Support & Skills: Wellness Group for Socially Conscious Helpers, Healers and Advocates: Burnout, Compassion Fatigue, Moral Injury and Vicarious Trauma
To learn about the individual and relationship, group and training services offered by Irene, schedule your complimentary 30-minute consultation.