Workshops and Trainings
Over the past thirty years I have given hundreds of presentations on subjects related to compassion fatigue, oppression fatigue and vicarious trauma, white-body privilege, PTSD & trauma healing, and LGBTQ+ issues. Designing and presenting workshops, lectures and trainings is one of the most satisfying and gratifying parts of the work that I do.
I have a casual, relaxed, fun, personable, down-to-earth style, and am known to be organized, thorough, and well informed. When I present, I am cognoscente and inclusive of issues related to privilege, oppression, access, race, class, ability, sexual and gender minorities, diverse family configurations, misogyny, transmisogyny, cissexism, and heterosexism.
I offer workshops and CEU trainings to mental health, social service and medical providers, educators, non-profit agencies, and community groups.
Training formats that I offer
I regularly provide trainings and workshops from my offices and groups can also contract with me.
- Trainings and workshops that I provide. Registration is through Eventbrite.
- Smaller Trainings of up to 8 participants: Throughout the year I offer several workshops in my training room at my offices at The Well: Healing Arts Center. This uniquely small group workshop format provides the opportunity for learning together through deeper discussion, more personal and intimate dialogue, interaction and personal reflection. The shared experience of discovering and opening-up in a safe and accepting small group setting results in sustainable personal growth and healing that blossoms outward to our relationships and communities.
- Larger Trainings: A few times a year I offer larger trainings and workshops (20-60 people) at a community location.
- Upcoming Workshops Fall 2018 – Winter 2019: Registration at Eventbrite
- Contract with me: I am available to provide trainings at your organization’s conference, retreat, community or networking event. I work with each organizer, to custom-design a workshop that meets the particular needs and culture of their organization. These trainings can provide up to 7.5 CEU hours. Fees: Training fees vary and depend on the type, location, audience, and length of the presentation. I offer reduced rate or free workshops to volunteer, grass-roots and non-profit community groups that work on the front lines of social justice, violence and oppression issues.
Workshop and Training Topics
I. White-Body Privilege and Unconscious Racial Bias:
“When European-American Helping Professionals ‘Work’ with Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC): Mixing Good Intentions, Good Practices and White Privilege” (example of a workshop title)
- Race workshop content:
- Talk openly about race, racism and whiteness
- Identify common race dynamic questions, worries, and issues that European-Americans often have, situations we have come across, and the mistakes that white helpers often make when “helping” People of Color
- Discuss our white privilege, our conscious and unconscious racial bias, stereotypes and judgments that we European-American “well-intentioned” people / professionals have when working with BIPOC
- White Liberalism, White Fragility, Cultural Appropriation, White Savior Complex, and White Humility and Reparations
- Review information from BIPOC about their experiences with well intentioned European-American helping professionals, and listen to what BIPOC want / need from us instead
- Make a plan for realistic and specific personal and professional action steps to each do our part to increase racial justice
II. Professional, Community and Personal Self-Care and Wellness:
“Political Trauma Stress & Radical Self-Care: Turn Anxiety and Fear into Resiliency and Resistance”
“Minimizing Burnout, Vicarious Trauma and Compassion Fatigue for Socially Conscious Helping Professionals: Improving Wellness & Self-Care”
“Professional and Personal Self-care for Helpers: It’s Much More Than a Massage”
“Burnout, Stress, Compassion & Oppression Fatigue: Self-Care and Wellness for LGBTQ+ Helping Professionals”
“Critical Incident Response: Gaging PTSD Symptoms and Psychological First-Aid”
- Self-Care & Compassion Fatigue Workshop Content:
~Impact of Political Trauma Stress Anxiety (PTSA) on ourselves and those we serve.
~Causes, signs and remedies of burnout, vicarious trauma and empathy and compassion fatigue.
~Brain science behind how stress impacts us physically, emotionally, and psychologically and what we can do about it.
~Personal assessments of our own burnout, vicarious trauma and empathy and compassion fatigue.
~Personal assessments of our personal and professional self-care and wellness habits and pattern.
~Sustainable strategies and proven methods to increase self-care and decrease burnout and compassion fatigue.
~Create a personal and professional self-care and wellness plan.
III. Building Healthy Relationships for LGBTQ+ and Allies:
- LGBTQ+ Relationships: Boundaries, Communication & Connection
- LGBTQ+ Relationships: Building a Healthy Relationship When One or Both Partners is a Survivor of Abuse
- All relationship configurations are welcome.
For information about workshop and professional training topics or to explore the possibility of scheduling a workshop for your group or organization, contact Irene Greene.
Registrations for all of my workshops are made through Eventbrite.
Also see Upcoming Groups page.